Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Flickr was fun!

Flickr was fun! But as with any new application, the initial learning is the hard part. I love taking pictures and sharing pictures at home and at school. Many of the children in my school seldom have the opportunity to see themselves in a snapshot. We try to take advantage of every opportunity to capture smiling faces to promote happiness and joy in our school. In addition to our website, we have two digital frames, one in the main office and one in the library. We load all sorts of snaps. Our students love to see themselves and each other. This has proven to be an excellent PR tool for visitors to our school as well. I see apps for Flickr in many ways. Just today the art teacher shared with me his need for photos as part of a grant. The trading cards may be just the ticket for this assignment. He is a go-getter, so if he doesn't ALREADY know about this app, I'm sure he will embrace it and have it rolling in his classroom soon! Students will love making trading cards of their favorite nominees to post and share.

So many ideas! So little time! Gotta keep that "get to do" attitude as opposed to the "have to do" attitude. If we only had another unencumbered 12 hours or so....or do I really want to wish for that? :-)

3 comments:

Valerie Byrd Fort said...

12 hours of time would be so nice, but I wonder if I would just spend that time wandering on the internet, or if I would stay focused?

I love playing with pictures on Flickr. If you go to the edit photo feature in Flickr, it takes you to Picnik, which is an easy way to get rid of red eye as well as add some funky frames. Big Huge Labs is way more fun for pics, but if you want to clean them up, Picnik is good for that.

Valerie Byrd Fort

hloy said...

Other than using Flickr to find photos for my blog, I haven't really played around with photos. One thing you need to check is to be sure Flickr isn't blocked by your district - like it is in mine. That's the reason I download the photos instead of direct linking in my blog. Otherwise, the photos wouldn't show up when my teachers check the blog from school.

Cathy Jo Nelson said...

My favorite other app that involves Flickr is Flickrcc, which gets me to pictures that "allow" the use of images for creative folks or bloggers. Be sure to check it out. It's easily googled.